Handed over our project at Aspen Colliery for restoration works to the 200 year old Coke Ovens

Known locally as the “fairy caves” these coke ovens converted the coal from the adjacent aspen colliery into coke for the steelworks as a smokeless fuel. The canal opened in 1810 which brought the coke ovens into use, there was three rows each with 9 ovens, they were not used after 1930, and in 1977 they were scheduled as an ancient monument, however no work had been done to preserve the site and they continued to deteriorate. This restoration project means that visitors will be able to learn more about the coke ovens heritage